I apologize to all of my grandparents who gave me specific instructions to please, please, please keep updating this blog, which I evidently completely disregarded. I'm sorry! I love you! I will try harder from now on! :)
I've been working at my new job, an after school academy, for about two months now, so I'm feeling like I'm getting the hang of everything now. It's a lot different than my old public school job, but I'm liking it much better so far. It's a lot more work, teaching more classes, grading tests, calling students for phone tests, but it's so much more satisfying than sitting in an empty classroom twiddling my thumbs for four hours every day like I used to do. And my coworkers all speak nearly-flawless English (three of them are other foreign teachers, like me), so it's not a painful struggle to communicate with them, which, of course, is great. I miss the students from my old school, of course, but these new students are just as precious. And their English level is so much higher than I expected, so it's really fun to talk to them.
Because my new working hours go until about 8:30 or later in the evening, it's been more difficult to meet with friends throughout the week. I have to squeeze all my socializing into the weekends, and I've also been trying to get more involved with my church. Today, my Bible study group volunteered together to serve at a soup kitchen, and then we went out to eat together afterward. It felt a little... foolish? insensitive? to go eat a super-delicious, kind of expensive meal right after serving cheap rice and soup to the homeless, to be honest. But at least it was really good to spend time getting to know my groupmates better.
![]() |
| Introducing Koreans to American-style BBQ. |

No comments:
Post a Comment