Friday, September 27, 2013

Day 40 in South Korea | Flea Market

This morning, the students at my school held a flea market, where they each brought in toys, books, and other trinkets to sell to their friends and teachers. 

They all gave me really earnest sales pitches in English if they saw me coming towards them, only to be disappointed when I revealed I didn't have any money with me.

I wish I had thought to bring cash to buy from them. But all I had was a ₩50,000 bill (about $50), which none of them would have had change for.

Most kids just wanted my money, but a few really wanted me to have their stuff no matter what. So I ended up with a necklace, a hat, and a stuffed dog in gifts.

Fifth-graders Tae-ee, Diana, Haeun, [I forget this girl's name. Sorry!], and Sumin. And me in the necklace one student demanded I take and wear.
These third-grade girls treat me like a celebrity. But like a celebrity, I have no idea what my fans' names are. 
The tiniest, most adorable third-graders ever, Geunwoo and Wooseok.

Snails were a surprisingly hot commodity among third-graders. And these aren't just any snails, they're American snails! Or so I've been told.

I asked Dohyeon if he would need to feed the snails and take care of them. He said no. Poor snails.

Instead of selling things, a few sixth-grade girls did nail art instead.

The loot I ended up with by the end of the sale. Other teachers ended up with an amusing assortment of gifts from students, too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment