Thursday, September 12, 2013

Day 27 in South Korea | Awkward

Things that are really awkward:

1. Teaching a class of teachers, some of whom have been teaching for longer than I've been alive.

2. Being the new person in a group of people that know each other really well.

3. Not having a clue what everybody is saying because I'm the only one who doesn't speak their language.

Thing that was surprisingly not actually all that awkward after all:

1. Doing all of those things at once. 

Today, I started a teaching for a weekly Teachers' English Club at another local school that doesn't have their own English teacher right now. Honestly, I was dreading it all week. This afternoon, my coteacher glanced over at me from her cubicle next to mine and asked if I was ok, because I looked so nervous.

But then, an hour later, when I was sitting in a classroom at this other school surrounded by their teachers, I realize it wasn't so bad after all. Sure, there were a few times when I would say something that would unexpectedly cause the entire group to crack up and start chattering to each other in Korean, while I sat there wondering what I said that apparently set off some inside joke. But overall, I actually had a lot of fun with them. And I'm even looking forward to next week's class.

No comments:

Post a Comment