Friday, July 19, 2013

29 Days Til Korea | London

True fact: I still don't know exactly what day I'll be getting to Korea, and I can never remember what day I picked last time for the countdown. August 17? 18? 19? Somewhere around there.

But I do know that one year ago today, I was at the airport, flying off to biggest adventure of my life. The London Olympics.


Through my college, my classmates and I had the opportunity to work as broadcast interns during the games. Obviously, as a freshly graduated Media Communications student, this professional experience was beyond incredible. But I was even more excited to travel and see the city and meet new people. And, of course, see the Olympics IN REAL LIFE. Because who wouldn't want that?

I can't express in words how much the experience went above and beyond everything I had hoped. It could not possibly have been better.




Somewhere between taking goofy tourist shots all over the city with my college friends, laughing to tears with my new British friends every day at lunch in our crowded broadcast compound canteen tent, watching more than 200 nail-bitingly intense badminton matches right from the sidelines (including one of the top worldwide sports scandals of the year!), savoring peaceful moments riding the Jubilee line of the Tube across the city by myself, chatting with my Chinese crew members through broken English, a lot of hand gestures and translator apps, and feeling almost numb when I had to get on a plane to head back to the United States, my entire life plan changed without me quite realizing it.


If it weren't for going to London, I wouldn't have rekindled my dream to live abroad. Sure, on previous trips to Italy and to Spain, I would come back and think, "One day, I'm going to live somewhere outside the U.S." But this time, it changed from just a "One day..." dream into a "How can I make this happen?" reality.

If it weren't for going to London, I wouldn't have realized that, yes, I can live alone in a foreign city. I know staying in a hotel room for a few weeks doesn't really count as "living," and London is probably the easiest foreign city for an English-speaking American to adapt to, but it was enough of a confidence boost to make me realize that I actually could live in a foreign city if I wanted to.

If it weren't for going to London, I wouldn't have spent three weeks nearly completely surrounded by Chinese coworkers, and I wouldn't have tried to learn Chinese, decided it was too hard and said, "How about something at least a little bit easier. Like... Korean?"



So here I am, a year later, about to move to Seoul, South Korea, indefinitely. Maybe I'll only be there for a year, just long enough to check off "live in a foreign country" and "learn a new language" from my bucket list. Or maybe I'll love it so much I won't ever leave. I don't know. But I'm excited to see how this new adventure changes my life again.

2 comments:

  1. Well said. Maybe I'll come visit you in Korea sometime to appease my travel dreams.

    ReplyDelete