I've spent more time at the post office these last few months than I have in the last 10 years, I think.
Also, it turns out that international postage is really expensive. Especially when you want it there quickly. Especially when you forgot to sign your application form, and you have to send it again. "Another $80 for a document I already sent to Seoul once? Sure, why not!"
But at least the people there have been super friendly. Once, after one worker saw where my envelope was headed, he mentioned that he was going to Seoul in just a few days. When I was back at the post office today to send off my visa application, he was the one who helped me again. I asked him how his Seoul trip was, and he was quite startled. Clearly, he did not remember me. But after I mentioned our previous conversation, he told me he'd had a really great trip. As it turns out, his son actually lives in Itaewon, surrounded by American English teachers.
It fascinates me how many people I talk to have a family member or friend living in South Korea. About 120,000 Americans live in South Korea, and it feels like they all have ties to central Pennsylvania.
No comments:
Post a Comment