Thursday, June 6, 2013

73 Days Til Korea

I'm starting to worry.

I'm starting to worry that I'm never going to get my FBI background check back in time. That I filled out the forms wrong and I'll have to start over. That by the time I send all my documentation to Korea, there will be no more positions left, and I'll have to try again for February. And that I'll have to find a job in the meantime, after my current job is over in August. And somewhere to live.

I'm also starting to worry that, even if I get all my paperwork collected and sent, I still won't be able to finish my teaching certifications. I've gotten my basic TESOL certificate, but I'm still working on the required in-class practicum. And by "working on," I mean, "trying to find a teacher who will let me work with their class." I've contacted all the organizations that run ESL classes in the area, and I keep being turned down. For good reasons, like their teachers don't meet the qualifications I need, their programs take a break over the summer, or they have someone else already working with them on a similar practicum. But it's still frustrating. There's still one organization that hasn't given me a final answer yet, though, so there is some hope...

When I was in college, I decided I was going to spend a semester in Rome. It was a great plan. The program was run through a different school, but they were open to other students like me joining them. So I applied, was accepted, told all my friends I was going to Rome... and then was told by my own school that none of my financial aid would transfer. That kind of killed those plans. I considered officially transferring schools for just the semester so I could get financial aid, or even transferring permanently (it had been my very close second choice school all along), but neither of those options were really a good idea. So I never went to Rome. But I'm worried that this plan to go to Korea will end up like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment