Monday, June 17, 2013

61 Days Til Korea | Kimbap

When I get to Korea, I want to be able to use Korean ingredients to make Korean food. For one, I've heard western food is super expensive. And for two, only eating and making American food while living in Korea would just be super lame.

So I've been practicing staple Korean dishes every so often over these last few months, as best as I can with the ingredients I can find in grocery stores here. So I've attempted bibimbap a few times, I've made a few various Korean side dish recipes, but mostly I've made fancied-up ramen with peanut butter and kimchi in it. I don't care if that's not actually Korean at all. It's ridiculously delicious. And I probably eat it at least three times a week now.

But today, when I was grocery shopping, I noticed seaweed sushi wrappers. And I thought, "Kimbap!" And so I bought them. And made kimbap. At one in the morning. Because that's the sort of thing I do.

It turned out... ok. I looked up a few recipes, but the gist I got was that you can pretty much put whatever in it. So I used tuna, carrots, spinach and eggs. It was pretty bland, though. I threw some seasonings here and there, like soy sauce, green onions, sesame oil and a few other things, but I wasn't really sure how much of each thing should go in, and with what part of the filling. But at least it looks pretty. At least I'd say so. For my first time. I've never even seen it in real life before. So I'm satisfied.


No comments:

Post a Comment